What my first job has taught me about myself and my career:
- My first job is just that, my first job. I’ll have a second, third, fourth, etc.
- Did I enter the right field for me? ABSOLUTELY! I found a new love for marketing/advertising that I did not already have .
- Work-life Balance: Keep my work at my job and personal life at home; I am less stressed and much happier! (My first month, I used to answer emails and take calls at home — never again!)
- Balancing classes, RSOs, a social life and an internship/part-time job DO NOT equate to balancing a full-time job and a social/private life; I am dead and tired by 8 PM.
- Keep my good friends close and drop the toxic ones, only keep those who add value to your life.
- Language barriers are DIFFICULT TO OVERCOME BUT ARE MANAGEABLE
- I am not a fan of interviewing and training but will train someone when a task needs to be done right.
- I do not need social media or a television. Now I spend an hour or less on each!
- $AVE, $AVE, $AVE THE GREEN STUFF
- Being an adult is expensive — not that I did not already know this but woof!
- It is possible to befriend colleagues. We mean business during work hours and are friends after hours.
Only a small list of what I have learned and believe I have so much more to explore. I cannot wait to see where my career takes me!